Adoptions/Animal Care Specialist
Job Title: Adoptions/Animal Care Specialist
Reports to: Director of Adoptions
Classification: Regular, Full-Time
Starting Wage: $13.10
Location: Berkeley, California
Do you love working with animals and people? Berkeley Humane is looking for full-time Adoptions and Animal Care Specialists to perform cleaning, feeding, and basic medical and behavioral care duties for dogs and cats to ensure that animals housed at Berkeley Humane maintain high quality of life and health.
Berkeley Humane is a local, independent, nonprofit organization that provides complete care for homeless animals, from rescue to rehabilitation to placement. We match animals with loving and committed adopters, strengthen the human-animal bond, and promote the humane treatment of animals. For more information about Berkeley Humane, please visit www.berkeleyhumane.org.
In this position you will be report to the Director of Adoptions and work closely with staff and volunteers in all departments at Berkeley Humane, including Adoptions, Veterinary Hospital, Training and Behavior, and Administration. Exceptional customer service, strong organization, attention to detail, and the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment are very important. Dependability, follow through, time management, efficient communication, and flexibility are key.
- Provide outstanding customer service in-person, via email, and by telephone, to staff, volunteers, donors, partners, and all members of the public
- Ensure all daily animal care duties, including cleaning, feeding, medicating, and enrichment, are completed according to Berkeley Humane guidelines
- Ensure all daily Adoption Center tasks are completed according to Berkeley Humane guidelines
- Provide adoption counseling and animal selection assistance, enter computer data, complete necessary paperwork, and perform follow-up services
- Train, coordinate, and support volunteers; provide direction, and explain protocols and policies
- Walk dogs of all sizes, and a variety of temperaments
- Give belly rubs and receive slobbery kisses
- Serve as resource to the community by effectively imparting knowledge of companion animal welfare
- Actively promote Berkeley Humane programs and events to adopters, volunteers, staff, and public
- Promote communication and cooperation between internal departments
- Demonstrated experience in dealing and communicating effectively and tactfully with the public
- Proven ability to take initiative and be a team player; ability to multi-task and handle fast-paced, demanding initiatives while also learning and applying new ideas and maintaining a positive demeanor
- High School diploma or equivalent; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Professional experience in the care, feeding, and handing of dogs and cats preferred
Please attach a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.
RELIEF REGISTERED VETERINARY TECHNICIAN
Put your passion for animals to work at Berkeley Humane!
Founded in 1927, Berkeley Humane is one of the Bay Area's most enduring and respected animal welfare institutions. We provide veterinary care and adoption services for homeless animals in addition to offering low-income programs to our community members to provide basic veterinary care and low-cost spay/neuter clinics
Are you looking for an opportunity to do relief work on your days off or just want to help save more animals? If so, we are seeing RELIEF RVT's to cover staff sick and vacation time throughout the year. Shifts will consist of an eight hour work day, with one hour for lunch (9a-6p).
The RVT provides technical support and works closely with the veterinarian and hospital staff to ensure a high quality of care for the animals at Berkeley Humane veterinary hospital. You will be responsible for the health of all of the animals in the adoption center and in foster and for providing all necessary treatments directed by staff and veterinarians.
The ideal candidate will also have compassion for animals, concern for their welfare and an appreciation for animals and their unique environment and needs, knowledge of animal behavior and of preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic veterinary treatment of dogs and cats, and a willingness to educate fosters, adopters, and staff about preventive health care and animal behavior. You must also have the ability to lift 50 pounds.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
1. Current California Registered Veterinary Technician license.
2. Minimum of 3 years as a Registered Veterinary Technician or Assistant or two years of college coursework with an emphasis on animal-related science or completion of a veterinary technician training program. Qualifying work experience will be considered as an alternative.
3. Excellent customer service.
4. Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft applications.
5. Avimark experience preferred or the ability to become proficient using veterinary software as applicable to clinic operations.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the days of the week that you are available, including weekends. Your documents must be in Word or PDF format to be considered.