Berkeley Humane’s Fosters are volunteer who provide temporary housing and loving care to homeless animals. This allows Berkeley Humane to save more lives by expanding our capacity beyond our limited facility.
REQUIREMENTS & COMMITMENT
- Must be 18 or older.
- Have genuine concern for the welfare of animals, consistent with Berkeley Humane’s mission.
- Be able to monitor medical conditions and evaluate the behavior of the foster animals.
- Be able to check on the foster animal every 4-5 hours.
- Must provide care and socialization.
- Must provide regular transport to medical appointments and adoption weekends.
- Must be willing to separate foster animals from your own animals.
- Must commit to 4 months of availability.
WE MAKE IT EASY TO BE A FOSTER
- When you foster a shelter animal, you are helping save his/her life!
- Fostering provides invaluable socialization opportunities for shelter animals.
- Enjoy temporary companionship if you’re unable to have a pet long-term.
- Fostering is a great way for the whole family to volunteer together from the comfort of home.
- Being a foster is a great way to gain animal handling skills.
- Berkeley Humane provides all the supplies, you just provide the love and care!
LET’S GET STARTED!
Fosters are vitally important to Berkeley Humane: they provide a temporary home for pets in our care while they are awaiting their future home. Due to the current situation with COVID-19, Berkeley Humane needs fosters more than ever.
The first step is for you to complete a foster application. Instructions for the following steps will be provided after you apply.
We hope you are all staying well during these challenging times, and thank you for your interest in fostering! We look forward to having you on our foster team soon!