WHY JOIN US?
- Make a real difference and improve the lives of shelter animals.
- Connect with your community, meet like-minded people and expand your network.
- Increase self-confidence and stay physically healthy. Our volunteers are smarter and better looking. Don't believe us? Join us now and see for yourself!
- Ages 12-15 may volunteer with a legal guardian in a 1 adult to 1 child ratio.
- Ages 16+ may volunteer independently.
- Animal care volunteers must commit at minimum 8 hours per month for 6 months.
- All volunteers must meet the commitment requirements specified for each role.
- For other roles, please see below for more details.
Attending a volunteer orientation is your first step to becoming a Berkeley Humane volunteer.
If you are interested in fostering animals in your home, please learn more about our foster program here.
CANINE or FELINE VOLUNTEER
Berkeley Humane is always looking for more canine and feline volunteers to help care for and engage with the dogs and cats in our care! Volunteers participate in the complete care of the animals from cleaning kennels and cages to feeding to socializing. Our fabulous animal care volunteers ensure that Berkeley Humane animals get lots of love and care while staying with us.
-Able to attend orientation
-Fulfill prerequisites and attend animal care training
-Comfortable working with a diverse population of animals
At least one 2-hour shift per week. 2-hour shifts available Mondays through Fridays, 8 am to 7 pm. Limited shifts available on weekends. 6+ month commitment required.
FOSTER PROGRAM SUPPORT
Foster support volunteers help keep the foster program running smoothly. Volunteers provide operational support for the foster program. Volunteers will collect and enter data, clean and organize foster supplies, coordinating drop-off and pick-up of foster animals, and more.
- Able to attend orientation and 1:1 training with Foster Program Coordinator
- Great attention to details
- Comfortable learning new computer programs
- Excellent customer service skills and comfortable working with a diverse population of people and animals
- Able to stand for long periods of time and carry a 10+ lbs
2-3 hours per week. Shifts available Monday through Thursday, 8 AM - 5 PM; Fridays, 8-10 AM; and Sundays 4-6 PM. 6+ month commitment required.
Are you a professional or semi-professional photographer who is interested in helping dogs and cats in the East Bay find loving homes? Help Berkeley Humane produce captivating photos of adoptable animals to help them find adopters, and to help boost Berkeley Humane's marketing and fundraising efforts. Our volunteer photographers capture high-quality photos of adoptable animals, helping to showcase their unique personalities and best features to find them loving homes.
- You must provide your own DSLR camera. You must use a DSLR that is capable of making adjustments for low lighting, fast subjects, and other unfavorable conditions you may encounter while photographing animals. Flashes are never allowed for our animal’s well being, but still lights are permitted.
- Volunteer must have full access to computer and software, in order to make edits to photos and upload finished images.
- Volunteer must adhere to Berkeley Humane's photography guidelines, brand guidelines, and animal-handling protocols at all times.
2-4 hours per month. Shifts available Tuesdays, 4-6 PM; Wednesdays, 4-6 PM; and Saturdays, 9-11 AM. 6+ month commitment required.
Berkeley Humane's Volunteer Videographers capture high-quality footage of adoptable animals that show their unique personalities, produces and delivers videos, and help promote our animals so that they find loving homes.
- Be able to film, edit, and produce short 1-4 minute videos featuring an animal for adoption.
- Volunteer must have full access to video filming equipment and editing software, required to produce and deliver videos.
- Volunteer must adhere to Berkeley Humane's videography, brand guidelines, and animal-handling protocols at all times.
Volunteer must make a 3+ month commitment to remain on the videography team. Volunteer will produce a minimum of 1 short video per month. 6+ month commitment required.
"THANK YOU" CALLER & ADMINISTRATIVE VOLUNTEER
The development & communications department is seeking a friendly and cheerful volunteer with great phone etiquette, who feels comfortable calling and thanking supporters on behalf of Berkeley Humane. Most calls result in leaving a scripted voice message, while others involve a short, friendly conversation with our supporters. Callers will NOT be asking for donations, nor are callers expected to have answers for questions. Volunteer will also provide general office assistance, such as filing, copying, preparing mailings.
-Excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette
-Comfortable with office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, etc.
2 hours per week. Must be available to work onsite during regular Monday through Friday business hours. 6+ month commitment required.
MOBILE ADOPTION CENTER & OUTREACH LEAD
Berkeley Humane is looking for a lead volunteer to partner with our current volunteer lead and staff to coordinate all outreach and mobile adoptions events. This is a great opportunity for an organized person who is passionate about reaching out to our community.
-Comfortable working with a diverse population of people and animals
-Excellent customer service skills
-Experience coordinating schedules for volunteers or staff
-Comfortable reaching out to local businesses and event organizers by phone or email
3-20 hours per month (varies by month, summer months will require more hours). 6+ month commitment required.
Community service volunteers are accepted on a case by case basis, as we usually require a 6 month commitment for volunteering. If you have required volunteer hours to complete, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane! Our lofty goals are impossible to accomplish without passionate, dedicated volunteers who are integrated into every area of our daily operations. Your efforts will truly help us make the world a better place for homeless dogs and cats in the East Bay.