WHY JOIN US?
- Make a real difference and improve the lives of shelter animals.
- Connect with your community, meet like-minded people and expand your network.
- Increase self-confidence and stay physically healthy. Our volunteers are smarter and better looking. Don't believe us? Join us now and see for yourself!
- Ages 12-15 may volunteer with a legal guardian in a 1 adult to 1 child ratio.
- Ages 16+ may volunteer independently.
- Animal care volunteers must commit at minimum 8 hours per month for 6 months.
- All volunteers must meet the commitment requirements specified for each role.
- For other roles, please see below for more details.
Attending a volunteer orientation is your first step to becoming a Berkeley Humane volunteer! Whether you're interested in a specific volunteer role (see openings below), want to learn more about Berkeley Humane and our many volunteer needs, or stay informed as new needs arise, you can sign up to attend a Volunteer Orientation.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
CANINE & FELINE VOLUNTEER
Berkeley Humane is always looking for more Canine and Feline Volunteers to help care for and engage with the dogs and cats in our care! Volunteers participate in the complete care of the animals from cleaning kennels and cages to feeding to socializing. Our fabulous animal care volunteers ensure that Berkeley Humane animals get lots of love and care while staying with us.
Able to attend orientation, fulfill prerequisites, and attend animal care training. Comfortable working with a diverse population of animals.
At least one 2-hour shift per week. 2 hour shifts available 8am–7pm, Mondays through Fridays. Limited shifts available on weekends.
Please register for a one hour volunteer orientation here.
FOSTER PROGRAM SUPPORT
Foster Support Volunteers help keep the Foster Program running smoothly! Volunteers provide administrative support for the Foster Program. Volunteers will enter data into the volunteer database, run reports in Volgistics and our animal database, and email/call current Foster Care Providers to check-in.
-Able to attend orientation and 1:1 training with Foster Program Coordinator
-Great attention to details
-Comfortable learning new computer programs
-Excellent customer service skills
-1–2 hours per week
-Shifts available Monday through Thursday
Please register for a one hour volunteer orientation here.
Google Ad WordS Assistant
Berkeley Humane is seeking a Volunteer to assist us with Google Adwords. We have an exisiting Google Adwords grant, with new requirements. If you have a passion for helping others and an
understanding of how to set up, run, and maximize
Google Adwords Marketing campaigns we would be very pleased to speak to you!
? Advanced Proficiency with Google Adwords Marketing Tool
? Experience setting up and running online marketing campaigns
? Proficiency with Search Engine Optimization a definite asset
If this volunteer opportunity is of interest to you please submit an email of interest including your Google Ads experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media Assistant
Berkeley Humane's Social Media Assistants help create and manage great posts that showcase Berkeley Humane and our amazing animals for adoption. Capture quick photographs, video clips, boomerangs, and gifs of our adoptable animals, while following Berkeley Humane branding guidelines. Help craft unique and engaging ways to post on facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Manage approved social media accounts; proactively search for and join conversations; follow other related accounts, and ensure back-up when main account managers are away.
- Promote and protect the Berkeley Humane brand. Ensure brand guidelines are met across all social media.
- Use social media to grow membership, increase participation and deepen engagement of followers.
- Use social media to effectively support fund-raising, special events, and animals.
- Upload photos and bios for each new animal up for adoption and schedule posts appropriately.
- Knowledge and experience with social media techniques and effective practices. Prior experience using social media in a professional environment to achieve business objectives is highly desirable.
- Exceptional communications skills. Ability to communicate effectively in writing online and orally with individuals and groups.
- Excellent judgement and tact in all communications; capable of owning the significant responsibility of communicating on behalf of Berkeley Humane.
- Volunteer must adhere to Berkeley Humane's, brand guidelines, and animal-handling protocols at all times.
Volunteer must make a 6+ month commitment to remain on the Social Media Team. During which, volunteers will sign up to manage social media one week per month to check on social accounts and upload content at appropriate times. In addition, come onsite for 1-2 hours to take animal photos and video to create interesting content.
Please email email@example.com with your interest. Please describe your experience with animals. Please provide your availability and background of your social media experience, if available.
Are you a professional, semi-professional, or amateur photographer as well as an animal lover who is interested in helping dogs and cats in the East Bay find loving homes? Help Berkeley Humane produce captivating photos of adoptable animals to help them find adopters, and to help boost Berkeley Humane’s marketing efforts! Our Volunteer Photographers capture high-quality photos of adoptable animals, helping to showcase their unique personalities and best features to find them loving homes.
- You must provide your own DSLR camera. You must use a DSLR that is capable of making adjustments for low lighting, focus, and other unfavorable conditions you may encounter while photographing an animal. Flashes are never allowed for our animal’s well being.
- Volunteer must have full access to computer and software, in order to make small edits and upload finished photos.
- Volunteer must adhere to Berkeley Humane's photography guidelines, brand guidelines, and animal-handling protocols at all times.
Volunteer must make a 4+ month commitment to remain on the Photography Team. During which, volunteer will come onsite for 2 hour photo sessions at least twice a month. Currently there are photography times available on Tuesdays from 4-6pm, Wednesdays from 9-11am, and Saturdays from 9-11am. A monthly schedule is created in advance.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send cover letter detailing your interest/ qualifications and a link to your portfolio to:
Berkeley Humane's Volunteer Videographers capture high-quality footage of adoptable animals that show their unique personalities, produces and delivers videos, and help promote our animals so that they find loving homes.
- Volunteer must be comfortable with video equipment and editing, and be able to film and produce short 1-2 min videos featuring an animal for adoption.
- Volunteer must have full access to video filming equipment and editing computer and software, required to produce and deliver videos.
- Volunteer must adhere to Berkeley Humane's videography, brand guidelines, and animal-handling protocols at all times.
Volunteer must make a 3+ month commitment to remain on the Videography Team. During which, volunteer will come onsite for 1-2 hour long filming once a week. Volunteer will produce 1 short video per week.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest. Please describe your experience with animals and videos. Please provide your onsite availability and samples of your work, if available.
"THANK YOU" CALLER & ADMINISTRATIVE VOLUNTEER
The Development & Communications Department is seeking a friendly and cheerful volunteer with great phone etiquette, who feels comfortable calling and thanking supporters on behalf of Berkeley Humane. Most calls result in leaving a scripted voice message, while others involve a short, friendly conversation with our supporters. Callers will NOT be asking for donations, nor are callers expected to have answers for questions. Volunteer will also provide general office assistance, such as filing, copying, preparing mailings.
-Excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette
-Comfortable with office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, etc.
This position requires a 6+ month commitment. You must be available to work onsite during regular business hours for a minimum of 2 hours a week.
Please contact Jacob LaBay, Development Analyst at email@example.com with your interest.
MOBILE ADOPTION CENTER & OUTREACH LEAD
Berkeley Humane is looking for a lead volunteer to partner with our current volunteer lead and staff to coordinate all outreach and mobile adoptions events. This is a great opportunity for an organized person who is passionate about reaching out to our community.
-Comfortable working with a diverse population of people and animals
-Excellent customer service skills
-Experience coordinating schedules for volunteers or staff
-Comfortable reaching out to local businesses and event organizers by phone or email
6+ months, 3 – 20 hours per month (varies by month, summer months will likely require more hours)
Please contact Joe O'Donnell Volunteer Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter explaining your interest in this position.
Community service volunteers are accepted on a case by case basis. If you have required volunteer hours to complete, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane! Our lofty goals are impossible to accomplish without passionate, dedicated volunteers who are integrated into every area of our daily operations. Your efforts will truly help us make the world a better place for homeless dogs and cats in the East Bay!