Ready to adopt?
We're Looking for LOVE
You can give homeless dogs and cats a second chance. Berkeley Humane believes in an adoption process that carefully matches the lifestyle and expectations of adopters with the needs of each animal to help the pet remain in their new homes for the rest of their lives.
(click to expand)
COVID-19 Modified adoption process:
All our available animals are in foster homes. Please review the available animal’s profile closely, making sure you can accommodate their needs. When you are ready, please complete this online Adoption Inquiry Form. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Potential adopters will be asked about their lifestyle and household in order to suggest appropriate pets or determine a specific animal’s suitability.
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have valid state-issued identification;
- Allowed to have a pet where you live (to protect you and your pet, get your landlord’s or HOA’s permission in writing before you adopt);
- Willingness and ability to provide training, medical attention, and proper care for your new pet.
Included with Adoption:
Before becoming available for adoption, each animal receives medical and behavior evaluations, vaccines, a microchip, spay or neuter surgery, flea and tick preventative treatments, worm treatment, and felv/fiv test for cats (at the discretion of our veterinarian) or heartworm preventative for dogs.
Our adoption package includes pre-adoption counseling, temporary leash or carrier, free post-adoption resources and advice for life, $250 worth of medical care with VCA Animal Hospitals, a certificate for a free examination at a local veterinary hospital, and an optional, discounted pet insurance offer. Plus a 10% discount on dog training classes through our program Train the Bay.
Older pets (7+ years) or those who have been available for 30+ days may be available for trial adoptions. Trial adoptions are only available for residents of Contra Costa and Alameda counties.
Senior adopters (65+) receive a 50% reduced fee for falling in love with an older pet (7+ years).
Adoption fee waived for veterans with valid photo ID. Terms apply, please contact us or ask for more details when you are visiting the shelter.
Berkeley Humane adopters can contact us for behavior or health advice. Call our post-adoption advice line at (510) 845-7735 x 204, or submit a contact form.
Please state when you adopted, and describe your pet’s challenges in detail. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Post-Adoption Medical Support
- If you adopted an animal from Berkeley Humane within the past seven (7) days and have any health concerns about your pet, please contact the Berkeley Humane Veterinary Hospital at 510-845-7735. During this time period, we provide free post-adoption medical care by appointment only for shelter-associated conditions including internal and external parasites, respiratory infections (including kennel cough and feline upper respiratory infection), and incision complications.
- Our post-adoption medical care policy does not include routine, preventive care (vaccines, deworming), treatment for post-adoption accidents/injuries, treatment of other pets in the household, or treatment that is outside the capabilities of our basic hospital facility.
- Berkeley Humane partners with 19 VCA hospitals to provide care for pets adopted from our organization. Adopters receive up to $250 of care (excluding certain conditions) for up to 14 days from the date of adoption.
- Berkeley Humane adopters may also receive one complimentary exam within five (5) days of adoption from local veterinary hospitals listed here.
Post-Adoption Training with Train the Bay
Dog training classes are discounted for Berkeley Humane adopters! Discount code located in your adoption packet.
about berkeley humane
We love to see how our adopted animals are doing! We care for them deeply, and it makes us very happy to see both people and animal enjoying their life together. Share your story on social media for a chance to be featured below!
- We are unable to guarantee the availability of an animal or place any animals on hold.
- ALL the animals that are available for adoption are on our website.
- These days there are more people than ever that want to bring love into their lives, please be patient.
- Check the website daily to be the first to know about available animals.
We are committed to supporting our adopters.
Share your adoption story! Tag us @berkeleyhumane on Instagram or use hashtag #berkeleyhumane and #berkeleyhumanealumni for a chance to be featured!
Where's the MAC?
All mobile adoption events have been canceled due to the COVID crisis. When it is safe to resume, we will add the dates here.
Hope to see you soon!