Ready to adopt?
We're Looking for LOVE
You can give homeless dogs and cats a second chance. Berkeley Humane believes in an adoption process that carefully matches the lifestyle and expectations of adopters with the needs of each animal to help the pet remain in their new homes for the rest of their lives.
how adoption works
We continue to operate and to place animals in loving homes with a modified virtual Covid-19 process.
We review inquiries in the order they are received, and respond to them via email. Thank you for your patience as we work through each inquiry!
Once received, please respond to our email within 24 hours to schedule your virtual meet & greet. During which, you may ask questions about the animal. Dog to dog meetings may be accommodated on a case-by-case basis.
Our Adoptions Team will discuss and determine if you and the animal are a good match. If yes, you will be contacted to complete the adoption process. Animals are removed from the website once adopted.
More Adoption Information
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have valid state-issued identification;
- Allowed to have a pet where you live (to protect you and your pet, get your landlord’s or HOA’s permission in writing before you adopt);
- Willingness and ability to provide training, medical attention, and proper care for your new pet.
included with adoption
Every animal in our care receives medical and behavior evaluations, vaccines, microchip, spay/neuter surgery, flea, tick and worm treatments, felv/fiv test for cats at the discretion of our veterinarian, or heartworm preventative for dogs.
Our adoption package includes a temporary leash or carrier, $250 worth of medical care with VCA Animal Hospitals, a certificate for a free examination at a local veterinary hospital, optional discounted pet insurance, and a 10% discount on dog training classes through our program Train the Bay.
Adoption Programs & Promotions
When you adopt a dog or a cat from Berkeley Humane, you become a part of our extended family, and our goal is help ensure your success. In addition to the post-adoption resources we provide to our adopters, we also offer pet-related services and helpful tips through our Resource Center.
Berkeley Humane adopters can contact us for behavior or health advice. Call our post-adoption advice line at (510) 845-7735 x204, or submit a contact form.
Please state when you adopted, and describe your pet’s challenges in detail. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
- If you adopted an animal from Berkeley Humane within the past seven (7) days and have any health concerns about your pet, please contact the Berkeley Humane Veterinary Hospital at 510-845-7735. During this time period, we provide free post-adoption medical care by appointment only for shelter-associated conditions including internal and external parasites, respiratory infections (including kennel cough and feline upper respiratory infection), and incision complications.
- Our post-adoption medical care policy does not include routine, preventive care (vaccines, deworming), treatment for post-adoption accidents/injuries, treatment of other pets in the household, or treatment that is outside the capabilities of our basic hospital facility.
- Berkeley Humane partners with 19 VCA hospitals to provide care for pets adopted from our organization. Adopters receive up to $250 of care (excluding certain conditions) for up to 14 days from the date of adoption.
- Berkeley Humane adopters may also receive one complimentary exam within five (5) days of adoption from local veterinary hospitals listed here.
We are committed to supporting our adopters.
We love to see how our adopted animals are doing! Share your story on social media #berkeleyhumanealumni for a chance to be featured.
Where's the MAC?
All mobile adoption events have been canceled due to the COVID crisis. When it is safe to resume, we will add the dates here.
Hope to see you soon!