you + berkeley humane
= Lives Saved!
We can’t do it without you. Last year our legion of volunteers logged 64,299 hours. From dog walking, to bottle feeding baby kittens, to event set-up, to envelope stuffing and beyond – it’s true, we can’t do it without you!
From dog walking, to handing out free food to hungry pets, and so much more. Your efforts will truly help us save the lives of vulnerable dogs and cats in the East Bay.
Fosters are volunteers who provide temporary housing and loving care to our animals awaiting adoption, enabling us to save more lives than our limited facility allows.
Internship opportunities are available year-round. We pride ourselves on the training and hands-on experience we provide, and encourage those without experience to apply!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane!
Most volunteers don’t need any previous experience, but we do have commitment requirements to ensure the best care for our animals and the safety of our teams.
COVID-19 UPDATE: We have temporarily suspended volunteer orientations and are currently unable to onboard new volunteers, except for Thrift Shop positions. Volunteer opportunities are available for those who have already completed the orientation.
- Ages 12-15 may volunteer with a legal guardian in a 1 adult to 1 child ratio.
- Ages 16+ may volunteer independently.
- Animal care volunteers must commit at minimum 8 hours per month for 6 months.
- All volunteers must meet the commitment requirements specified for each role.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Browse our volunteer opportunities to see if there’s a role for you, and apply according to the instructions listed for the role.
Ready to share your home, provide TLC, and help puppies, kittens, dogs and cats awaiting adoption? Read on!
- Must be 18 or older.
- Have genuine concern for the welfare of animals, consistent with Berkeley Humane’s mission.
- Be able to monitor medical conditions and evaluate the behavior of the foster animals.
- Be able to check on the foster animal every 4-5 hours.
- Must provide care and socialization.
- Must provide regular transport to medical appointments and adoption weekends.
- Must be willing to separate foster animals from your own animals.
- Must commit to 4 months of availability.
ABOUT FOSTER TO FAMILY
Our Foster to Family program extends Berkeley Humane’s impact by placing homeless dogs and cats into longer-term foster homes that will assist with finding new, loving families to adopt them — without the animals needing to return to the shelter.
We still provide everything needed for success including marketing support! If this sounds good to you, let us know when you apply.
LET’S GET STARTED!
The first step is for you to complete a foster interest form. After you apply, you will receive instructions on next steps. Thank you for your interest in fostering with us!
All experience levels welcome! We work with students to accommodate school schedules and responsibilities.
- Must be age 18+
- Must love animals
- Eager to learn
- Comfortable working with a diverse population of animals and people
- Must commit 20+ hours per week for 3+ months
Lets get Started!
Browse our internship opportunities and submit your application according to the instructions for the role.
Community service volunteers are accepted on a case by case basis, as we usually require a 6 month commitment for volunteering. If you have required volunteer hours to complete, please contact us for more information.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane! Our lofty goals are impossible to accomplish without passionate, dedicated volunteers who are integrated into every area of our daily operations. Your efforts will truly help us make the world a better place for homeless dogs and cats in the East Bay.
Love animals? Put your passion for dogs and cats to work at Berkeley Humane.