you + berkeley humane
= Lives Saved!
We can’t do it without you. Last year our legion of volunteers logged 64,299 hours. From dog walking, to bottle feeding baby kittens, to event set-up, to envelope stuffing and beyond – it’s true, we can’t do it without you!
details & qualifications
(click to expand)
COVID-19 UPDATE: We have suspended all new volunteer orientations until it is safe to resume them. However, we are accepting foster volunteers and intern applications (see below).
From dog walking, to bottle feeding baby kittens, to event set-up, to envelope stuffing and beyond. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane! Your efforts will truly help us save the lives of dogs and cats in the East Bay.
Most volunteers don’t need any previous experience, but we do have commitment requirements to ensure the best care for our animals and the safety of our teams.
- Ages 12-15 may volunteer with a legal guardian in a 1 adult to 1 child ratio.
- Ages 16+ may volunteer independently.
- Animal care volunteers must commit at minimum 8 hours per month for 6 months.
- All volunteers must meet the commitment requirements specified for each role.
LET’S GET STARTED!
Attend a volunteer orientation. This is your first step to becoming a Berkeley Humane volunteer.
View all volunteer opportunities or see see below.
Fosters are volunteers who provide temporary housing and loving care to homeless animals. This allows Berkeley Humane to save more lives by expanding our capacity beyond our limited facility.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Have genuine concern for the welfare of animals, consistent with Berkeley Humane’s mission.
- Be able to monitor medical conditions and evaluate the behavior of the foster animals.
- Be able to check on the foster animal every 4-5 hours.
- Must provide care and socialization.
- Must provide regular transport to medical appointments and adoption weekends.
- Must be willing to separate foster animals from your own animals.
- Must commit to 4 months of availability.
LET’S GET STARTED!
The first step is for you to complete a foster interest form. Instructions for the following steps will be provided after you apply.
We hope you are all staying well during these challenging times, and thank you for your interest in fostering! We look forward to having you on our foster team soon!
ABOUT FOSTER TO FAMILY
Our Foster to Family program extends Berkeley Humane’s impact by placing homeless dogs and cats into longer-term foster homes that will assist with finding new, loving families to adopt them — without the animals needing to return to the shelter.
We still provide everything needed for success including marketing support! If this sounds good to you, let our Foster Care Coordinator know in your application.
We have internship opportunities year-round, and can work with students to accommodate school schedules and responsibilities. We pride ourselves on the training and hands-on experience we provide, and encourage those without experience to apply!
- Must be age 18+
- Must love animals
- Eager to learn
- Comfortable working with a diverse population of animals and people
- Must commit 20+ hours per week for 3+ months
OUR INTERNSHIP FIELDS
View all internship opportunities or see see below.
Community service volunteers are accepted on a case by case basis, as we usually require a 6 month commitment for volunteering. If you have required volunteer hours to complete, please contact us for more information.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Berkeley Humane! Our lofty goals are impossible to accomplish without passionate, dedicated volunteers who are integrated into every area of our daily operations. Your efforts will truly help us make the world a better place for homeless dogs and cats in the East Bay.
Love animals? Put your passion for dogs and cats to work at Berkeley Humane.