In this video Nancy Frensley, Training Manager at Berkeley Humane shares her tips for getting your dog to love going to a platform and how your dog can use a yoga ball. It may seem complicated, but as with any skill or trick, it takes consistency, patience, and lots of treats!
A great skill to share with your dog, especially if you will be working from home a lot, is teaching them to love going to a platform or mat. This can help your dog to settle down quietly when you’re otherwise occupied.
Go To a Platform or Mat
- Get your dog to repeat getting on and off a platform (or mat). Give your dog a treat each time he/she returns to the platform.
- Once your dog is comfortable and enjoys getting on the platform, get your dog to lay down and stay, then give a treat.
- Gradually increase the stay time before giving a treat.
Using a Yoga Fitness Ball
- Hold the ball in place while encouraging your dog to place their front paws on the ball.
- Give a treat.
- Once your dog is used to this, let the ball roll and give a treat each time your dog rolls the ball.